Indian Army signs MoU with Russia on AK-203 Assault Rifle

Indian Army signs MoU with Russia on AK-203 Assault Rifle

Indian Army signs MoU with Russia on AK-203 Assault Rifle


Indian Army has decided to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Russia regarding the procurement of over 7.5 lakh AK-203 assault rifles. These rifles are
 to be manufactured locally by an India-Russia joint venture as per the defence sources.



“About 1 lakh rifles will come directly from Russia and the remaining will be manufactured by the Joint Venture in India. The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) should be signed in a month,” a Defence official said.


Indo-Russian Rifles Private Limited (IRRPL) will be manufacture the AK -203 Rifles at Korwa in Uttar Pradesh.  This facility would be set up by Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) from the Indian side, and Rosoboron Exports and Kalashnikov on the Russian side. The OFB owns 50.5% equity and Russian side holds the remaining 49.5%. 


Indian Army has appointed Major General Sanjeev Senger as the Chief Executive Officer of IRRPL to have oversight over the process and ensure timely deliveries. Joint Venture has obtained all the requisite licences for production and export as per the sources. The Ministry of Defence has already floated a Request For Proposal (RFP) to the Joint Venture for the supply of 6.71 lakh rifles.


Replacement of INSAS 

The Indian Army has been looking to replace the indigenous INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) rifles that are currently in use with a modern rifle. The Defence Ministry had approved the procurement in January 2018 through the Fast Track Procurement route. Of the total 72,400 rifles, 66,400 are for the Indian Army, 2,000 for the  Indian Navy and  4,000 for the Indian Air Force. The entire quantity is expected to be delivered within 12 months from the date of signing the contract.

No comments